Has your dog been itchin’ and scratchin’ a whole lot lately? It could be allergies! They can develop in dogs at any age just like humans. Here are some common symptoms, causes and most importantly ways to make it better! Since they can’t tell us what’s going on we need to be the detectives!
Common Allergy Symptoms in Dogs
- Itchy, red, moist or scabbed skin
- Increased scratching
- Itchy, runny eyes
- Itchy back or base of tail (most commonly flea allergy)
- Itchy ears and ear infections
- Snoring caused by an inflamed throat
- Paw chewing/swollen paws
- Constant licking
What could it be??
· Environmental allergens like: Tree, grass and weed pollens, mold spores, dust and house dust mites, dander, feathers, cigarette smoke
· Food ingredients: beef, chicken, pork, corn, wheat or soy
· Prescription drugs
· Fleas and flea-control products (Only a few flea bites can trigger intense itchiness for two to three weeks!)
· Contact Allergans like: perfumes, cleaning products, fabrics, insecticidal shampoo, rubber and plastic materials
What YOU can do to make it better!
· Make an appointment with your vet, there is allergy testing just like for humans available that help you narrow down the culprit
· Food allergens can be tricky, your vet can recommend an plain diet adding in foods one at a time. Luckily there is also lots of great allergen-free dog food on the market
· Note if your dog’s redness and symptoms flare when exposed to certain products, opt for special shampoos designed especially for sensitive skin
· Wash your dog’s bedding frequently to get reduce allergens
· Bathe your dog weekly to reduce allergens and make him more comfortable
Don’t let dog allergies get you down! Once you narrow down the cause you and your dog will feel so much better. Let your vet and dog care center help with testing and recommendations for skin care and products, they are there to help. Now go slay those allergies!