How spare change can be fatal

Just when you think you've covered all the bases trying to keep your dog safe in your home you hear a story like this. From a news story out of Colorado we learned that a lovable Westie named Sierra ate a penny and sadly passed away from zinc poisoning.

Pennies minted after 1982 contain zinc which can wreak havoc on the insides of your pet and can even be fatal. Zinc from pennies can be absorbed quickly into your dog or cat's bloodstream.

 Symptoms of zinc toxicity:
- vomiting
- diarrhea
- lack of appetite
- lethargy
- red urine
- jaundice

Keep an eye out for loose change and take your pet to the emergency vet immediately should they get a hold of some! Spread the word and keep our best friends safe.

For more details on Sierra's story visit: